How to update VirtualBox
Here you will find out:
- why it is better to use the latest version of VirtualBox
- how to update VirtualBox
- how DiskInternals software can help you
Are you ready? Let's read!
Why is it better to use the latest version of VirtualBox?
The reliable virtualization platform VirtualBox does not stand still, but is constantly being improved. So what is the latest VirtualBox version good for?
Here are the benefits of using the updated VirtualBox:
- Previous bugs are fixed.
- You will be provided with a higher level of security.
- There will be a higher level of performance
- You will be able to use new features.
Don't worry: updating VirtualBox will keep your configurations in place. And how to do this and not harm the virtual machine will be described in detail in this article.
Steps to update VirtualBox
First, you need to find out which version of VirtualBox is currently installed. This can be done using the Help tab, the About VirtualBox window will contain all the information you need. In the "File" tab, you can click "Check for Updates" and find out if you have any uninstalled updates.
Also, the latest version of VirtualBox can be downloaded from the official VirtualBox website. To do this, download the latest version of the VirtualBox installer for your platform and save the installer file to an arbitrary location.
Next, do the following:
- Shut down the running virtual machines and close the existing instance of VirtualBox.
- After that, right-click on the installer executable file and select "Run as administrator".
- In the new window, the Installation Wizard will help you.
You must be sure that the installation path and components to install / update are the same as your old version of VirtualBox to be updated.
- The Configuration Wizard will prompt you to check the boxes to create shortcuts and register file associations.
- You will receive a warning message that the network interfaces are temporarily disabled. Click Accept to avoid unexpected interruption of the network connection during installation.
- Now close the VirtualBox application. After closing the running instance of VirtualBox, click Retry to resume updating VirtualBox.
- Next, install the Oracle Universal Serial Bus Security Driver. Then click Install and confirm the launch of the VirtualBox updater in Windows.
- As a result, you will see a screen with the message "Installation complete". Now you can run the updated version of VirtualBox.
How to use VMFS Recovery to restore your data
Use DiskInternals VMFS Recovery to restore VMDK files. The application has been helping clients for over 15 years and has only positive recommendations from leading IT specialists and forensic experts. The application reads and restores any information from disks (in both good and bad conditions) with the VMFS file system. In addition, you can restore VMDK files and disk images on ESXi / ESX servers. A simple and useful Recovery Wizard will help you work with the application if necessary. Any virtual disk can be mounted as local; data recovery bypasses all Windows restrictions and, of course, has Unicode support.
Instructions for using DiskInternals VMFS Recovery are below:
After downloading and installing the program, you can start recovering VMDK files.
First, connect via SSH, if necessary, and open the disk (it can be a local disk or SSH).
After scanning, find the necessary VMDK files and mount the VMDK file. Then you just need to open this VMDK file by double-clicking the left mouse button and view the files to check their integrity for free.
The final stage is the purchase of a license to complete the export of data to your selected storage device.